BIM Object and 3d Asset Library Product Page & Specs

What are the minimum required information when it comes to choose / download a 3d model to be used in BIM software like Revit?

Here is a list of potential properties to be used in 3d product page. Please choose as many you seem necessary and let’s discuss the reasoning behind your choices:

• Product Brand
  • Product Designer
  • Product Full Description
  • General Dimensions
  • High-Quality Product Images
  • Product url
  • Product Catalog Link
  • Product Cut Sheet Link
  • Instructional Guide / Video
  • Product Certification
  • Product Material
  • Product Color
  • Designed In
  • Manufactured In
  • Product Warranty
  • Shipping Weight
  • Region Availability
  • Sustainability Data
  • IFC Classification
  • CSI MasterFormat Code (Divisions)

0 voters

Most of my choices relate to data which can remain relatively reliable.

In my experience, adding too much product data can be a challenge as websites change URL often - usually a product name, website URL and manufacturer is enough in my experience. Expanded product data tends to be too onerous and better sourced in something like NBS spec builder format.

Dimensions/material and classification are essential I think, from a model and data perspective.

1 Like

I agree. Product manufacturers will be responsible to list and maintain their listing on Moduluc asset library since its a free service for them (given they have what’s needed) so, we hope this will lower our workload and help us have the library updated all the times.

Thanks for your votes. This is really helpful!

1 Like

I kept my choices minimal to the core needs of a family when loading in.

Typically I want to make sure the element size is accurate so I can coordinate it’s relationship to anything near it. Beyond that any data typically is a plus, but I tend to like my models lean.

As far as sustainability info goes, I think a solid usable standard is the first step here and more a wishlist item for me.

CSI codes are great because they help with extracting specs, but generally this isn’t a workflow I see by many firms. I think this happens more due to the fact people don’t do it so there’s no information to harvest, so getting a good practice in place early could be helpful.

2 Likes

Thanks Nick for the inputs.

I am very interested in sustainability data as well specially when it comes to consumer products like furniture and accessories.

Is there any relevant standards in this field that has been applied in practice or has been adopted widely by manufacturers and design firms? Any link or resources will be helpful.

There hasn’t been anything that I’ve seen to date that does this well enough. I think the big deal is to capture “red list” materials and even catalog documentation for LEED v4, considering we are now looking at the life cycle impact, being able to know where a product is from and how it is delivered also becomes important. If I was able to put in a project address and select the parameters of my project, and then select from that list I think it would be a great first step.

http://www.greenspec.co.uk/building-design/red-list-of-banned-toxic-construction-materials/

1 Like

I would say that less information is okay as long as there is an easy to find a cut sheet or URL that gives you additional information like warranty, region availability, and sustainability information.

Thanks Lmueller for your input.

Do you prefer to access those info directly from manufacturers or through Moduluc database? Is there any differences when it comes to audit?

Thanks @mcnood for your inputs.